Saturday, October 22, 2011

Getting close to Halloween!



I really do like this time of year! October, November & December are three of my favorites. The kids are SO into all the holiday characters and traditions...it makes it so easy to teach...as long as you join them in their enthusiasm! : )



So, this week we are going to make our Story of Jack books (one of my freebie activities on TPT) and have some fun with Dr. Jean's "The Five Days of Halloween." I love repetitive read alouds and extending those read alouds to my pocket chart and then to student books. The Story of Jack Pack and The Five Days of Halloween Pack have everything you need to follow that routine. I take 1 to 2 weeks to complete my whole routine. By the time I pass out the student version of the book even my struggling reader feel successful and view themselves as brilliant readers! Best feeling ever!

My routine looks a little like this:

day 1, 2, 3 (5 minutes) read the class book together periodically throughout the day (great quick activity right before lunch or right before we go home for the day)


day 4, 5, 6 (10 minutes) reread the book but also extend it to the pocket chart.

day 7, 8 & 9 contine pocket chart building, rereading the story (I make sure both are available during reading center time- it is always a favorite)

day 10 (10 minutes) we finally get our own copy of the book! The kids love making it "their own" by coloring/illustrating their own personal book. Then we take them home and share them with our families.

Click on the picture above to go to my TPT site and download this pack. I am also working on a few for Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment