Sunday, January 13, 2013

Handwriting Practice (A fun way to practice)

Need a new way to practice writing the alphabet?  My class loves to practice while they sing! 

I laminated a practice (tracing) page for each kid.  They use dry erase marker to trace the letters while they sing.  We use old cheap gloves for erasers. (I confiscate the cheap gloves from lost and found at the end of each year.)


Once they get used to the activity I take away the tracer sheets and they write the letters on their small wipe boards.  



It's a fun way to practice (the kids LOVE it) and it saves me from having to print the sheets over and over and over.



I play a song on the smartboard and they sing while they write.  Here's the song we use:




You can get free printables of  the alphabet lots of places on the internet.  
Here's one that's free:  http://www.studenthandouts.com/01-Web-Pages/Lot-01/Printable-ABCs-Alphabet-Print-Practice-Writing-Sheet.pdf




5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this idea! I still teach handwriting in first grade and my students absolutely love music.

    MrsMc from Buzz! Buzz! Buzz!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I will try the song while we practice...thanks for the idea!

    Terri Izatt
    KinderKapers

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am new to your blog and so glad that I found it! This idea is fantastic! I would have never thought to put singing and handwriting together. My kiddos handwriting is scary bad this year and I'm willing to try anything once at this point. This is def. going into my lesson plans for next week.

    Erin
    www.missandersonkinder.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,

    AWESOME post is look amazing, thanks for sharing this information is so much helpful for my nephew.

    Thank You For Post.

    Regards
    Handwriting

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the song and the activities! Just what I needed! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete