Sunday, November 20, 2011

TEACH IT, MODEL IT, EXPECT IT (Part 3)

Last post about behavior...I promise!  Tomorrow I will post a Thanksgiving freebie!

So, I've taught the behavior and we've modeled it.  Now, I expect it.  Remembering that these kids are only 5 or 6 I give reminders of expected behaviors.  Using my example from yesterday (kids following me around the room) I say something quick like "have a seat little ducks."  Quick & kind reminders are usually all my kids will need once I've taught and modeled.  They know (after a few weeks a few months of consistency) that if we take time to talk about it in class then I expect it.  However, there are always a few who have to see if I REALLY mean it.  When that happens I use our behavior system. 

At the beginning of the year we had a classroom rabbit so that's where the carrot idea came from.  (She has since gone to live on a farm with other bunnies.  She was a lot of fun but a lot of work also!)  Anyways, all students start on green and if they are making bad choices, even after gentle reminders, I will move their pictures to yellow and tell them we will use 5 minutes of their Choice Time to practice the right choices to make.  (The last 25 minutes of my day are devoted to Choice Time.)  If they make more bad choices they can have their picture moved again, and so on and so on. Everytime their picture moves it takes 5 more minutes of their Choice Time away.  If they get to red and are still not making good choices their next move is to the office or the telephone to call home.  I have a "no tolerance" policy on hurting others.  If you hit, pinch, scratch, kick, slap, push another student your picture goes below the line immediately.


This year I also took 20 Training and have taught the kids above the line/below the line behavior (that's where the yellow line idea came from).  It has been really effective with my kids this year (a lifesaver actually!). 


At the end of the day I report their daily behavior on a calendar we keep in their take home binders. I also write quick notes if they are not on green.  For example, If they hit I will write "hit."  I tell the parents and the kids that it is the students responsibility to tell the "story" about what happened.  I find my students are usually very honest b/c they know their parents will check with me is their story is "fishy."

I also do a positive classroom behavior jar called the Warm Fuzzy jar.  I've pretaught what Warm Fuzzies and Cold Prickles are.  When we fill the jar we earn a Warm Fuzzy reward. I forgot to take a picture of it but it is simply a jar I fill with craft puffs.


By this time of the year I find I rarely have to move pictures at all.   Last week I only moved 3 pictures and I have a very "strong willed" class this year.

The end.  Finally. 

1 comment:

  1. I love how you always provide visuals for your young students. This critical component is sometimes missed in early childhood classrooms or often overlooked. I love reading your blog and learning from a master teacher. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete