Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Story Maps, Rubrics and Counting (Random Thoughts)

Conferences Monday, Valentine's Day party Tuesday and getting a weeks worth of sub notes ready.  My head is swimming and my thoughts are scattered.  So, today's post it just as random and scattered as my thoughts are this week. 
I just need to give a shout out to my co-worker Jill for this adorable Story Map poster she created for us!  The kids were immediately excited about it because of the pirate and they didn't even know what it was!  We read a story today and talked about Title and Characters.  Tomorrow we'll read another story and talk about Title, characters and setting and so forth. 




Jill was also the master mind behind these incredible rubrics.  These charts have really helped my kids think about their writing. 




In math we are working hard on counting "big" numbers using "big kid" (skip) counting.  My students have been brainstorming ways we've learned to count this year.  I love that they are 5 and 6 years old and don't find it odd in the least that they can count by 5's and 1's and 10's and 1's.  It's just so natural to them!   If only they knew how hard a skill that is and that their teacher didn't even start practicing those skills until 3rd grade!   My how education has changed!

Ok, random scattered thoughts are still bouncing around in my head.  Time to get organized.....sigh....

6 comments:

  1. Your story map is way cuter than mine and I'm loving the rubrics! I really want to make the picture rubric, it's such a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you posted a comment! I knew we had seen the idea on someone's blog but I couldn't remember where! Thanks for the great idea!

      Delete
  2. Love the Story Map and Picture Rubrics...awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog and love it! I am a new follower.

    Christine

    hoppingintofirstgrade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found your blog!! I am your newest follower. I love your story map and the picture rubrics. When you have time, come check out my blog.

    April
    wolfelicious.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I Michelle -
    I just found your blog and am your newest follower. I made a story map just like that with a BEE theme last year that I love too. I use it all the time. Swing on by and visit me, I teach first. :o) PS you are so close to 100 - you should have a giveaway.
    Vicky
    Traditions Laughter and Happily Ever After

    ReplyDelete