Tuesday, July 31, 2012

First Day Jitters Linky

Fierce in Fourth is hosting a "First Day Jitters" Blog Hop.  

Kids are always surprised that teachers get jitters too. . . but WE know how stressful the first few days are!  

Here are the 3 things that make me a little nervous STRESS ME OUT the first day of school:

#1  How many moms and kids are going to cry and WHAT DO I DO!?!?


This is not my first rodeo folks.  14 years of experience. . . I know there WILL be criers.  Every time it happens I freeze.  WHAT DO I DO?  Tough love?  Sympathy?  Walk away?    


#2  Are they all here?  You wouldn't believe how many times I count the kids the first day.
I don't know them yet. . . their friends don't know them yet. . . and they don't know you yet!  Honestly if they end up in another line or classroom it's hard to tell!  So I count and count again, and count again!  One time I knew I was missing a kids and we couldn't find him for 10 minutes!  We lost him during recess (I knew he was going to need special watching so I was trying to point him out to the EA on duty and he was no where to be found!) 10 minutes later  he wandered out of the corn field bordering our school and handed me a stalk of corn he had picked for me.  Had the biggest darn smile on his face and was so proud.  Took 10 years off my life!

#3  26 Kindergartners
That's my number right now. (it could grow to 28)  It's the biggest kindergarten class I've ever had.  I had 27 first graders one year but I was too young to know to worry about it.  I told my principal, "I have 22 cubbies and seating for 24 so I'm very sorry but I just can't have 26 in my room."  HA!  Good try, right?  It's not really the cubbies or tables I'm worried about (although that does create a problem).  For the next 175 days these kids are MINE and I want them all the love school and learning and I want them to be ready for all the challenges of First Grade.  Plus, I'd really like to do it with my sanity intact!


Ok. . . deep breath. . . Sigh. . . .


Tomorrow in blogging land should be a lot of fun!  Jessica Stanford from Mrs. Stanford's class is hosting a Magical Product Swap.  Bloggers are making, using and reviewing other's TPT products and posting about it on their blogs.  Get ready for your TPT wishlist to GROW!  

MrsStanfordsClass


Stop back tomorrow to see the packet I'm trying out!



3 comments:

  1. Thanks for checking out my jitters blog hop! :)

    I can't believe you have 26 kiddos! I would go absolutely insane! I only have 19 kids... shouldn't be anymore than 22 at the end of the year. I couldn't even imagine teaching kindergarten... wayyy too stressful for me!!

    Ashley @ Fierce in Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to know someone else out there is STRESSED at the beginning. We have been told to expect between 30-34 kiddos without help! But, intially, what makes me more nervous on the first day is that I am teaching the afternoon class. We start the day with our lunch (which is optional). I don't know who my kiddos are, they don't know me, they don't know how to go through the lunch line, how to carry a tray, where to sit, how to open their milk, where the bathroom is, etc. If they are on time, I can quickly label them with a name tag, which is such a relief. It's those who are late or who opted not to eat lunch that get lost. And, I don't know they are lost. To me, they are simply absent. The administration and office has never been able to help us K teachers because they are understaffed and totally busy with people trying to do late registration. Think about it. If we have 30-34 in class due to budget cuts, they have no help either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog :) I truly appreciate it!! I tried responding to you via email, but unfortunately your blog isn't set up to do that :( if you need help to change that I just blogged about it :) http://mrsstanfordsclass.blogspot.com/2012/07/excellent-post-about-comments-and.html

    Blessings,
    Jessica
    ✏ Mrs. Stanford's Class ✏

    ReplyDelete